(First Row): Evelyn Wells Nichols, Martha W. Sheftall, Helen Williams Powell, Wendell D. Howard, Carol Perdue, Dolores Cook
(Second Row): Betty O. Hutchings, Barbara Clowers, Lucille Armour Driskell, Eary Dean Bogan Mathis, Gussie Pope Felton, Obie Bailey, Thelma Cobb, Southern Regional Director
In 1943 the Beta Omicron Sigma Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated was chartered in Fort Valley, Georgia for post-graduate members. In 1959, this chapter became the Fort Valley Alumnae Chapter. Because Beta Omicron Sigma Chapter was in close proximity to Macon, members travelled to Fort Valley for meetings and to conduct sorority business. Even though members were appreciative of and worked collaboratively with Beta Omicron Sigma Chapter, in 1957, the twelve members living in Macon decided to pursue their dream of chartering a chapter in Macon, Georgia.
Under the watchful eye of Thelma Cobb, the 1956-1960 Southern Regional Director, the ladies met, planned and were successful in their venture of obtaining a charter. On April 26, 1958 at the Booker T. Washington Center, the Epsilon Sigma Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated, was granted a charter and in the following year, the chapter became the Macon Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated. The service area and the areas from which prospective members would be chosen was designated to encompass the following counties of Middle Georgia: Bibb, Crawford, Jones, Monroe, Twiggs and Wilkinson. Of the many members to be initiated into the beloved sisterhood of the Macon Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated, the first three initiates, in 1959, were the following members: Dorothy Zellner Brown*, Marie Hardeman Collins*, and Annie Marie Lundy Wynn.
The following counties make up the chapter’s current service area: Bibb, Jones, Monroe, Twiggs and Wilkinson.